Tuesday, November 29, 2011

REVIEW--Rocky Patel Fusion MM

The best thing about smoking cigars is smoking them with a pal. Every week or so my buddy Nathan and I sit out on his porch and turn a stick and shoot the bull. We started this routine about two years ago when we were both out of work (I was laid off twice in these last three years--not fun) and needed a break from job hunting; he's still looking while I finally landed somewhere. The conversation is good and the cigars are great. He always always something new for me to try, and today it was the ROCKY PATEL FUSION MM.

I'm not a huge Rocky fan only because of the price. His stuff is way too expensive and I smoke way too many cigars to pay those prices. But I have to admit that sometimes the difference between a $2 and a $10 is more than eight bucks, and this is one of those cases.

The wrapper was tight with a few veins and a good pre-draw. I guess this was his Toro size, a 6.5x52. I'm a stickler for the 6x50--for me, that's the perfect size, though I like lonsdales and robustos too. But this was not a jaw breaker and seemed promising.

The first inch or so offered a very heavy flavor with a spicy kick. I liked it. The reason I don't smoke many Dominican brands is that I cannot for the life of me find a blend that matches the heavier Nicaraguan or Honduran blends (if you know of one I'd appreciate a tip). Toward the middle the spice went away and it was heavy but smooth. I mean really smooth. Makers Mark smooth. So smooth that when it got to the end I didn't want to have to put it out.

When I returned home I had to look up the prices of the Fusion MM but I cannot find anybody who carries it. However, I did discover Rocky Patel Seconds, which are still steep but more affordable, and you can get that I will partake in some of those very soon.

No comments:

Post a Comment