Sunday, December 18, 2011

REVIEW--JR Alternative Edicion Limitada

Recently when I ordered a box of Havana Blend from JR Cigars, they sent me two complimentary examples of their Alternative Edicion Limitada cigars. These were modeled after the Cuban Montecristo C. A short corona with a dark wrapper and dark filler, it looked really good, and I thought it was a great way to promote the house blend. After all, Havana Blend allegedly has 1958 Cuban tobacco in it, so it was a good guess on JR's part that I would be interested in their "Cuban" cigar.

Well... I let them sit in the humidor for a bit and then smoked one of them. It was probably the fullest-powered cigar I had ever smoked, it made me crazy dizzy, but I finished the darn thing. It was good, but way too much. I smoked the second "Montecristo" about a month later, and it was a great surprise. It had mellowed considerably, and it was an absolute joy. I had my usual Coca-Cola (mixed into Jim Beam) while I smoked this stick. Very rich, very full-flavored and smooth, lots of smoke; letting it rest for a while was the best choice I could have made. I was so relaxed smoking that "Montecristo C" that at one point I leaned back in my chair, stretched, and the cigar slipped out of my mouth. Somehow it tumbled so the lit end wound up against my neck. Ouch!

The blister lasted about a week.

JR says that the Olivas are responsible for the blend, and whatever Oliva is involved with, I will smoke. I have yet to smoke a bad stick that has their fingerprints on it.

If you're looking for a full-power cigar that's easy on the wallet (I don't think any of the Edicion Limitada cigars are over $40, and you get twenty of them), look no further. They come in several sizes, but I wish they offered a greater variety of sizes, like a nice 6x50. The closest they come to that is a 5.5x50, which is fine. They also have a "Cuban Alternative" line which may or may not be as good, but it has the sizes I like; I haven't tried one of those yet, so that's another review!

3 comments:

  1. Hey Brian,
    Thanks for stopping by cigarscompared.com and letting me know about your preferences. I think we are on the same wavelength, sometimes looking at bargain bundles, sometimes at a little pricier sticks. I encourage you to help me figure out a way to get a notification agent working in the jr auctions - I think we could both benefit from the pretty good prices you can get when attending to their promotions.
    Joe

    ReplyDelete
  2. TheVaporPro only sells genuine JOYE products wholesale direct to the public! Green Smoke welcomes electronic cigarette distributors to contact them directly in regards to distributor opportunities and wholesale e cigarette pricing. Other Electronic Gadgets with wholesale price direct Chinese manufacturers. ecigs

    ReplyDelete
  3. Whatever you have provided for us in these posts really appreciative.Kayfun V4 RBA

    ReplyDelete