Sunday, December 18, 2011

REVIEW--Punch Elite 3-Pack

Well imagine my surprise when I visited the local smoke shop and actually bent down far enough to see what was on the lower shelf....I spied with my little eyes a package of three cigars bearing the name PUNCH followed by ELITE 3-PACK and had to buy one. The "Elite" is Punch's 5.25 x 46 corona-size cigar, and it's a great value, much cheaper than the larger Punch cigars and one of the better ways to experience one of the best medium-full cigars being made today. Contained in this 3-pack was a regular Punch, a Gran Puro, and an Uppercut, the three popular blends of this cigar. I have only smoked Original Punch, or Punch Classic, or whatever you want to call it, so I was eager to try the other blends.

The Gran Puro (so named because the wrapper, binder, and filler are all Honduran) was the first one I tried and it was delightful. Lots of spice and a strong flavor, but not overpowering. The spice mellowed after a while but the medium-full flavor remained, and it was very smooth. Punch makes this blend in several larger sizes, and they're offered as singles or five-packs by various on-line retailers. Yes, I'll buy more.

The Punch Uppercut is their Nicaraguan mix and they have their own approach to an otherwise standard medium-full smoke. I like Nicaraguan blends because they have a "bite" to them; it's sharp and tasty. It's mostly present with the full-bodied smokes (like Rocky Patel) but isn't as prominent in the medium-flavored sticks (such as Flor de Oliva). Anyway the Uppercut was a nice in-between flavor. It had the "bite" but it was tempered by the rest of the blend, and it was okay. I had higher expectations. I thought it would taste like a Rocky. I wanted it to taste like a Rocky so I would have another excuse to buy more Punches. I would try it again, but only if I couldn't get a Gran Puro first.

And what can I say about the Original Blend? I discovered Punch cigars by accident one day when I went looking for an Arturo Fuente Spanish Lonsdale, and the shop didn't have any, but they had the Punch equivalent, and the shop owner said it was just as good and a buck or two cheaper.... what the heck. Well, I was hooked after the first few puffs. Wonderful medium-full flavor, a blend of Honduran, Dominican, and Nicaraguan, very smooth. I can't remember the last time I smoked a Fuente, actually. That's right, I haven't smoked one since, and it's been at least three years. Hey, Punch: When I die, I want to be buried with a box of Punch Pitas, please. Thanks!

1 comment:

  1. Wow just for your information, there has been introduced a latest technology of electronic cigars which is remarkably a healthy one, i highly recommend you tried those,,,,

    e cig

    ReplyDelete